Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Airport Security

I'd like to comment on this article, but I'm a bit concerned about popping up on some random google searches. So just go read it yourself. Then come back and we'll talk. I'll wait.

Done?

Alright...here's the thing. I read this article and was like, "so what?". I've flown internationally before and been patted down. I didn't feel that it was unnecessary. Nor did I feel violated. As I was discussing this with DH I pointed out that a woman could hide a knife in such a place. He didn't believe me, so I proceeded to get my Swiss Army Knife and placed in it an undisclosed place. He was pretty surprised that I was correct. And for those of you that don't know me, let just say that I am not "well endowed". The article states that this woman was "big busted".

So what am I saying? Am I recommending that all big busted women get patted down? Absolutely not. I'm just saying that from a security stand point I can see the reason for such a rule for anybody that sets off the metal detectors. Now, the woman did offer an acceptable alternative, but this caused her to miss her flight.

The humorous thing to me is that she refused the pat down so as not to be humiliated. Instead, she walked around with no upper support and now she has her name and details all over the internet. I guess that's not as humiliating?

I could be wrong. Maybe I'm missing something. What do you think? Would you be upset if you were her? Annoyed? Vow never to wear such a thing again? I dunno. I just think that there are more interesting things to get upset over...

1 comment:

autumnesf said...

I think, being military dependents, we might just have a bigger clue when it comes to security issues. We get things pounded into our heads--especially with overseas orders or heightened security on base, etc.

We took a trip to China during heavy security. We KNOW airport security it tough now. This is not a secret. So, I went out an bought a bra without an underwire just for the plane rides so I wouldn't set off any alarms. We were carrying large amounts of cash for an international adoption and I did not want to be touched.

So, if you don't want to be touched, BUY A DIFFERENT BRA FOR THE PLANE RIDE. That's all it would have taken.